New Year...New Focus

Sunday, January 6, 2013

The when and why...
I have decided to change directions on reaching my yearly goals this year. Instead of listing and checking off a specific goal (which sometimes were random or didn't connect with each other), I have decided to stick with one main theme. I feel this will allow me to make the necessary goals needed along the way that will in the end lead me to my ultimate focus of the year Loving like Christ at All Times.

I am very excited to take this path, I mean really excited, so excited that I even figured out the name of this blog last October. Yes, that is me always trying to plan ahead. I admit it was hard at times to focus on the goals that were at hand because I just wanted to jump forward.

So what lead me to this new path or direction...
“To lose balance sometimes for love is part of living a balanced,” by Elizabeth Gilbert. I learned a lot last year with helping care for my Dad. I learned how happy it made me feel to just leave the meaningless busyness in my life and just serve. I also learned and was able to witness the Love and Help that God extends to each and everyone of us. I saw how God loved my Father so much, he extended his life another year. How many of us get time? He was so loving, He allowed my Father time to get his life in order. He probably did that for me too. It has also strengthened my testimony, the importance of temple covenants, the importance of eternal families. How grateful for a loving God and a brother who literally died for me, so that I could not only come back to him but also so I can be with my Dad and other family members again some day. There is this quote my sister got on a condolence card that fits this beautifully. "While we are mourning the loss of our friend, others are rejoicing to meet him behind the veil," John Taylor. I am truly grateful a 1000 times plus to have witnessed these miracles this past year.
I have to admit, one time I think I even became cocky in my thinking (not good). I thought to myself this is easy taking care of my Dad, unlike my Mother who I watched face many challenges because of it. I was reminded in a blessing that God had surrounded me with ministering angels at all times. I have no words for the gratitude and the sorrowfulness I felt to think I was doing it all myself. To think He loved me so much that he lifted my load so much so...that I didn't feel stressed, sleep deprived, impatient, or selfish. How small I felt, but what a great lesson. God has the power and can and will take the heavier load from us. We just need to ask and live in a way to be able to receive his blessings.

The who...
So with that said, I know of no other way to thank my Father in heaven for his love for me then to extend his same love to those I come in contact with.

The how...
I have chosen to work on different areas of love and discipleship through each month of the year. As I was pondering how to do this, I felt inspired to head to the church bookstore. Another, gift am I grateful for a church bookstore twenty minuets away. I found this book called Becoming His by Emily Freeman.


Becominghis_detail

She takes you on a twelve month journey to become closer to Christ. With this is mind, I thought the book would help give me a general outline on how about obtaining my goal to love like Christ at all times.

With that said, Happy New Year...
Please join me on my adventures, thoughts and insights on achieving my goal this year.

1 comments:

Melissa said...

Lovely new blog. I'm working through the same book this year too! We may have to share ideas - I'll be reading your thoughts here.

Post a Comment